The Church of Saint Graziano
The Church of Saint Graziano, was originally the church of the Benedectine monastery. Inside there are frescos dating back to mid- nineteenth century.
The Church which was originally dedicated to the Saviour and the holy martyrs Graziano, Felino, Fedele and Carpoforo underwent reconstruction during the second half of the XV century. A valuable fifteenth century sculpture on two bas-reliefs is dedicated to the four martyrs, at the centre of the bas-reliefs there is an ark with two white marble tables interspersed with green stone from Oira. Above the high altar you can admire a XV century altarpiece depicting the Madonna on a throne surrounded by saints painted by Ambrogio da Fossano known as Bergognone.
The building was founded to hold the bodies of the martyrs Graziano Felino, Fedele and Carpoforo. To them a valuable piece of fifteenth-century sculpture is devoted on two marmoreal bas-reliefs to the center of which an ark is found with two tables of white marble interposed from injured in green stone of Oira.Today there are no traces of the original construction, which was restored by the religious in the last quarter of the 15th century. Inside you can admire a XV century altar – piece depicting the Madonna on a throne surrounded by saints painted by Ambrogio da Fossano known as Bergognone around (1489)
Piazza San Graziano
The parish church of Santa Maria
The parish church of Santa Maria was consecrated in 1488, it is the result of miscellaneous styles due to several restoration works in the nineteenth century, only the tower bell in Romanesque style dates back to the twelfth century.
The Politticowaspainted by the great Piedmontese painter Gaudenzio Ferrari (1475 -1546) between 1510 and 1511. A rich golden frame encloses several painted panels showing the nativity and Saints venerated in Arona.Countess Bianca di Saluzzo, who, together with community of Arona, commissioned the work, was the wife of Vitaliano II Borromeo and is depictedin a kneeling position between the saints Peter Martyr and Teodulo in the right panel.
Via San Carlo
The Church of Santa Marta
The Church of Santa Marta was founded on the site of a previous Fourteenth-century church and was certainly inaugurated by Federico Borromeo in 1592. The project could be by Pellegrino Tibaldi, or Martino Bassi. The two flight staircase leading to the entrance are by Francesco Maria Richini.
The sumptuous altar is the work of sculptor Marco Antonio Prestinari. Behind the altar there is a rectangular vain covered by a barrel vault which reproduces the St. Home of Loreto: it houses the fresco of a Madonna of the Belt believed to be miraculous.
Piazza del Popolo
Saint Charles Church
Dedicated to Saint Charles and designed by famous architect Francesco Maria Richini, Lombard Baroque protagonist, the church houses the Chamber of Three Lakes, a reconstruction of the room where Saint Charles was born inside the Castle of the Rocca.
The original colours have been brought back to light by the latest restoration works inside the building and the Gloria di San Carlo by Giussani is now visible.
Piazzale San Carlo